Tuesday

Exhausted

I'm tired now. Literally exhausted. I watched the inauguration on CNN while taking care of kiddos. Didn't catch all of our new president's speech, but caught enough to be proud of the new day dawning in our country. And even that phrase makes me feel jaded as I reread it. "A new day dawning" is so overused, that it feels cliche to me. And if it is, well, maybe it's okay.

I started the day with such hope, such fervor, such anticipation for what I felt was going to be an amazing history-making day. And it was.

But now I'm tired.

Because in the midst of all the joy that I feel due to the new page in our book of history, there is still an undercurrent among people that I love, of judgment, bitterness, and (in some cases) outright hatred. I'm tired of it people. Open your eyes and see, "There is more to heaven and earth... than is dreamt of in your philosophy." (Thanks to the master, Shakespeare, himself!)

I don't have all the answers (Thank GOD for that, yeah?). No one person does. NO one... including Obama. We will see where this country will go in the next four years. He will inevitably make mistakes. If he didn't, he wouldn't be human (and regardless what you may THINK you hear from his supporters and/or followers, he IS human)!

Here's the thing though. You may not agree with the man, but here are the facts:
  1. He IS the president of our country. As such he demands our respect, our support, and above all our prayers.
  2. He may be a supporter of freedom of choice in our country, but that does NOT make him heathen, a murderer, or any thing else that I've heard him called in an effort to vilify him. It just means that like all great leaders, he's able to look beyond one or two details and see a larger picture, one which most of the general public may NEVER be able to understand.
So, let's put away the hatred.  Let's reserve judgement for God and God alone.  And let's support our new leader, and strive to create the change that we so need and that he has promised to promote in this country.

This is Nean, signing off...  I can't take anymore of this.

5 comments:

Jason Kichline said...

I agree. I don't remember any of this type of resentment when Bush initially took office. I even remember defending him post 2004 to some Europeans, even though I voted for Kerry.

I think the thing that we so easily forget is that God's will is going to be done despite of ourselves. Take a look at the lineage of Jesus alone who came through sinners, prostitutes, deceivers, and the son of the union of adultery where the husband was convenient "whacked". Whether you trace back through Joseph or Mary, you see a common ancestor from that point in Solomon.

I agree with Nean that Obama has been unjustly vilified because of his stance on a few issues that the church has escalated to "terror alert level red" or whatever. If I was that afraid that my entire religion would crumb at the whim of politicians, well... I'd be looking for a different god. God is sovereign and requires us to follow him and to love those who sin. It doesn't make the sin any less sin... but the focus needs to be on them, not us.

For a governance standpoint, it doesn't take much history to look back at Prohibition and how horribly that ended up. But instead of using wisdom and calm judgment on current issues facing us, all I see from these groups is cynicism and closed mindedness along with a complete disregard to reach the world beyond their own cliques. It's time to wake up church and think outside of the box, because God doesn't live in a box anyway. It's time to stop wringing our hands and proclaiming our own righteousness, and instead get our hands dirty with those who need love. You want to change the world? Then start by listening to Colossians 4:5-6 -

"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

FaithAnneLove said...

I will return later to read this, very busy packing, but I can't figure out how to follow a blog...will keep looking. SO glad you liked my poem, I have so many and these are not my favorite. Putting them up in no particular order.

FaithAnneLove said...

amen! well said!

Nean said...

"As you grow older, you'll see white men cheat black men every day of your life, but let me tell you something and don't you forget it - whenever a white man does that to a black man, no matter who he is, how rich he is, or how fine a family he comes from, that white man is trash." ~Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird, Chapter 23, spoken by the character Atticus

"Why reasonable people go stark raving mad when anything involving [an African-American] comes up, is something I don't pretend to understand." ~Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird, Chapter 9, spoken by the character Atticus

kj said...

Gotta wonder what Harper Lee encountered in her life to have written this. I understand a good part is autobiographical.

But who in the world have YOU been talking to? I guess I don't travel in the those circles anymore and am distressed to hear of the judgment and bitterness.
May peace and love prevail.